As I said in previous posts, the photos of your products are a key point for the success of your shop. If you don’t have time or you’re not skilled to shoot great photos, a great solution is to hire a photographer. The question arises, how do you find a great one for a reasonable price?
What to consider before hiring
Product photography is a particular niche of photography, and not just any photographer is good at it. The product photographers must be someone with a particular “eye” for the detail and that calculates how to make the perfect photo for your audience rather than capture the perfect photos. On Etsy and other marketplace like Storenvy, it is important to show your not only show your product alone but also during the actual use so your audience will have more information. Carefully go through the portfolios of potential candidates.
Why hire a professional?
Please see the perfect explanation to this question below which I found online:
Your product image speaks in more ways than you think. Your product is for sale, yet it’s the image that is your virtual storefront, and customers are judging you by your window.
A professional will:
- Customize the image to your needs
- Understand modern trends. They know nothing kills value more than a stale image style.
- Accentuate the details of your craftsmanship through light shaping tools
- Bring a creative eye to the table.
Read the entire post here.
There are a lot of great photographers on Etsy that are open to offering their work in exchange of your products. Take a look at these groups:
- Boutique Models & Photographers For Etsy. They’re a team of models, photographers, and Etsy shop owners who wish to trade their services.
- Sugar Pop photography. She is a professional photographer available to trade her works for products.
- Photography traded. It’s a community to search/offer photography service. There are more than 100 users.
- Photography for props trade group. Photographers looking to trade professional product photography to use on your website or Etsy site in exchange for props products.
- Photography and Prop Makers This team is where people who make props can trade with photographers for pictures of their props.
Then there is other group that just sells their photography service. I selected my favorites here:
- Karli (Photography of 10 items with 5 images for each, , $100)
- Katherine (Photography of 1 item with 3-4 images, $10)
- Amanda (Newborn Product Photography,3 edited images of 5 products. $150)
- Mary (Photography of up to 20 items with 3 images for each, $150)
- Amanda (Photography of 1 item with 3-5 images, $20)
- Nakita (Photos in exchange for photography props)
- Crystal (Photography of 10 items with 5 images for each, $110)